The birth control shot often known as the Depo shot comes in the form of an injection which contains the hormone progestin which stops a woman from getting pregnant by preventing ovulation. It is one the most convenient method but still, women must consider the benefits and negatives of birth control shots before using them. Here, we will discuss some of the pros and cons of birth control shots.
Listed below are the pros and cons of birth control shots.
Pros of Birth Control Shots
- Birth control shot is to be taken only 4 times a year, so it is a convenient method in comparison to the pills, patch or rings. Furthermore, it is great for people who don’t remember to use birth control every day, week, or month.
- You have got 24/7 birth control as long as you take the shots every three months. Thus, it is the best method to prevent pregnancy.
- Women can have a lighter period or some women may have no periods within a year of starting the shot.
- The birth control shot is very private until you get it in the doctor’s office. There is no necessary dealing with packaging or any other evidence of birth control, so nobody knows that you’re using it.
Also read: Pros and Cons of Birth Control Pills
Cons of Birth Control Shots
- Birth control shots like any other shots don’t protect from sexually transmitted diseases. Thus, it is better to use other preventive measures such as condoms and dental dams along with your shot
- Monthly visit or visit every three months is necessary for birth control shots. Thus it may not be affordable to some women as visit may be expensive or it may be hard when they live far away from doctor and nurse.
- There may also be some temporary side effects such as Nausea, Depression, Weight gain, Headaches, Tender breasts or Hair loss on the face or body
- The birth control shot only works when there are timely shots. If you forget to go to your shot appointment then there may be a risk for pregnancy.
- It may take up to 10 months for women to get pregnant once they stop using the shot. Hence, it isn’t considered the best option.
- There may be changes in your period such as excessive bleeding, irregular periods during the first years. The regular period resumes after a year of the shot.
These are some of the pros and cons of birth control shots. If you want to know about the pros and cons of other things, then please feel free to contact us.