This time around, Apple just came with bunch of similar devices looking devices. All 3 iPhones released this year are built around similar design, all notched up. Making alteration to iPhone X, little bit here and there, Apple has successfully created 3 devices from it. It is the first device to get the Liquid Retina HD display, just another way to say that it adopted HD display to cut in cost of production. But at well affordable price at $749 as stated by Apple, it is not so exciting to get as you can get lot more at lower price. Let’s discuss some of the pros and cons of iPhone XR in this post.
This all gets us to think about where has the technology brought us in terms of pricing. Somewhere we get something comparable enough at lot less price whereas somewhere you are compelled to buy similar thing at higher price. The specification the iPhone XR provides is superior to some devices whereas it has some specs lacking even to its previous versions. This brings us to the discussion about the pros and cons of iPhone XR.
iPhone XR Quick Specs
- 1-inch HD LCD display with 326ppi
- 12MP f/1.8 aperture with OIS with PDAF and 2x zoom
- Notched 19.5:9 aspect ratio display
- Fast charging
- Face ID
- 3 GB RAM, 64/128/256GB internal
- 2942mAh battery
- Apple produced A12 bionic chip
Pros and Cons of iPhone XR are as follows:
You can add a lot more to the device, to cut down the price, you limit something but you still be left with some pros and cons. Some of the pros and cons are as below.
Pros of iPhone XR
- Taller 6.1-inch with Liquid Retina HD display as stated by Apple
- Face ID more advanced and quicker than previous iPhone X
- Powered by Apple A12 bionic chip
- Minimal bezels
- iOS 12 out of the box
- IP67 rated resistance against dust and water up to 30 minutes at 1.5 meters
- 15% faster than previous iPhones
- Longer battery life
- Improved portrait mode
Also Read: Pros and Cons of iPhone X
Cons of iPhone XR
- No headphone jack, seems like Apple has permanently ditched headphone jack
- No too much improvement as expected.
- There is no wireless charging
- Way higher price than devices with similar specification
- Ditched fingerprint sensor for Face ID, might be secure but not so used to.
- At the price rated at $749, no dual camera available
- Same pixel density as iPhone 4 i.e. 326ppi
- Front camera stuck at 7MP for quite few generations now
- Non-expandable storage
- Accessories has to be brought separately even at such high pricing
The conclusion of Pros and Cons of iPhone XR
It is like a step forward and 2 steps backward by the Apple. Newer iPhones makes us think over the innovative part of Apple. All 3 iPhones being derivatives of iPhone X from last year, some are a step forward while some are step backwards. As per the 2018 standard, calling $749 cheap might be acceptable, but providing such specs as iPhone XR while other competitive phones are being offered at even 1/3rd the price of XR, is not acceptable. The pros are very faint as compared to the cons. Apple calls it a budget device but we wonder who else has such a huge budget for the “affordable budget” phone form Apple.
The device might have been a very hot piece of innovation in the market if only it had been priced some $200-250 cheaper. Another popular device from Xiaomi, the PocoPhone F1 is priced at $300 with some similar specs as iPhone XR. As the Chinese manufacturers are getting popular, it will be a tougher task for the premium brands to compete with them.