Pros and Cons of Drinking Beer

Pros and Cons of Drinking Beer | Side Effects of Beer | Benefits of Beer

Last Updated on Saturday, July 31, 2021 by ProsCons

Beer even referred to “liquid bread”, is one of the oldest and one of the most preferred and popular alcoholic beverages in the world. The main component used in the beer is the Brewer’s yeast, which is known to be a rich source of nutrients and this ultimately means that beer may have various health benefits as well as have its side effects too. Below listed are the pros and cons of drinking beer.

Pros and Cons of Drinking Beer are:-

Beer Pros and Cons

Pros of Drinking Beer

  1. Kidney stones:

For normal drinkers, beer consumption reduces the risk of developing kidney stones inside a body. Researchers found that there was a 40% lower risk of kidney stones in beer drinkers.

  1. Source of vitamins, minerals:

Beer is known to be rich in many sources of vitamins of the B group and different minerals such as magnesium. Barley and hops used in the manufacture of beer are known to be rich in pigments which have powerful antioxidant effects.

Also, NIAAA (The National Institute On Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism) found that the lowest death rate from all causes occurs at the level of one or two drinks per day which means that moderate drinkers have the greatest longevity.

  1. Aid against Coronary heart disease (CHD):

Many pieces of evidence have been collected to prove that light-to-moderate alcohol consumption has cardio-protective properties. The moderate drinkers are at a very low risk of CHD related mortality than in comparison to both heavy drinkers and abstainers. The vitamin B6 present in the beer seems to prevent the alcohol-induced rise in blood homocysteine i.e. a probable heart disease risk factor.

  1. Cholesterol:

Drinking moderate alcohol affects many processes in the body in which one is the significant increase in HDL cholesterol which is known as good cholesterol in a human body.

Also Read: Abortion Pros and Cons

Cons of Drinking Beer

  1. Belly inflammation:

Beer belly is caused due to the heavy beer consumption which may promote abdominal obesity in men but drinking beer in limit will not cause obesity.

  1. Cancer-Causing

Although beer is not exactly a poison, it still is prone to cancer. This harmful disease has claimed the lives of thousands and the count is not finished yet. The cure for cancer can be reduced by avoiding certain foods which include beer or alcohol for that matter. By further researches, it is found that even consuming one beer every day increases the risk of cancer by 20 percent when compared to someone who does not consume beer at all.

  1. Intoxication

Drinking less alcohol also can adversely affect attention and motor skills. Many serious accidents are the alcohol-related i.e. accident of motor vehicles, falling off your chair, down the stairs, out windows, etc.

This may also include “Beer Muscles which can make the person believe they can physically take on any person in the room which ends up with a person being sprawled on the floor with severe injuries.

  1. Dehydration

While urinating, only 10% of what you drink is removed through urine but, to get rid of the remaining 90% the liver needs the water. To do so, the liver is forced to divert water from other organs which may include the brain that may cause the throbbing headaches.

  1. Heartburn

The beer has powerful stimulants which secrete gastric acid and may provoke gastroesophageal reflux which causes heartburn.

  1. Blood pressure

Drinking too much alcohol can raise blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Daily consumption of beer i.e. approximately 40 g of alcohol may increase blood pressure.

5 thoughts on “Pros and Cons of Drinking Beer | Side Effects of Beer | Benefits of Beer

  1. Pingback: Pros and Cons of Lemon Water | Drinking Lemon Water pros and Cons

  2. Pingback: Pros and Cons of Mouthwash | Advantages and Disadvantages | ProsCons

  3. Pingback: Pros and Cons

  4. Adam Golightly

    My brother has been thinking about drinking some beer because he thinks that it will look a lot better. He would really like to get some from a professional that will taste a lot better. I liked what you said about how beer can act as an antioxidant because it is rich in vitamin B, and different materials.

  5. Luke Smith

    I like that you mentioned how beer consumption could reduce the risk of developing kidney stones inside the body for normal drinkers. I really like beer and I think I should try out other types more. So, I am thinking of visiting a night life bar later.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *