Last Updated on Saturday, July 31, 2021 by ProsCons
A diaphragm is the barrier method for birth control where a soft rubber dome-shaped barrier is used to cover the cervix. It works by preventing the sperm from entering the uterus. Also, the diaphragm has added Spermicides to kill any sperm that may get around the protective barrier. Diaphragm has a failure rate of 5%, so it is better to consider its advantages and disadvantages or Pros and Cons of Diaphragm Contraceptive before using them.
Listed below are few pros and cons of Diaphragm – advantages and disadvantages of Diaphragm:
Pros of Diaphragm
- The diaphragm is very convenient and effective to use. It can be carried in your bag, wherever you go. And it is effective as soon as you start using it and it is also easy to stop using it.
- The diaphragm can be kept 2 hrs before the intercourse because the spermicide tends to become active in that duration.
- During the intercourse, if inserted properly, the partners don’t feel the diaphragm.
- Many people prefer non-hormonal birth control because of its side effects. There is no hormone present in the diaphragm.
- Like other barriers, such condoms and sponges needs to be thrown away once it is used. Whereas, diaphragms last up to 2 years with proper care. But it is s good to have doctor or nurse check the fit of your diaphragm after a year in case of weight gain or loss.
Cons of Diaphragm
- The major disadvantage of Diaphragm is there may be Urinary tract infections (UTIs) and vaginal irritation with its continuous use. Urinating before inserting and after intercourse can help prevent a UTI.
- The diaphragm needs to be resized on a certain condition. It may be after pregnancy, abortion, pelvic surgery, or weight loss or gain of 20 lbs. or more.
- Applying the spermicides can be a messy job
- Once use, the diaphragms must be cleaned and stored properly so that there is no contribution towards urinary tract infections
So, these were the Pros and Cons of Diaphragm. If you want to learn more topics like this, please suggest to us, we are there for you.