Birth control pills are the oral contraceptive that is taken to prevent pregnancy. These pills are a very safe, simple, and convenient method of birth control. It also has other benefits such as reducing acne, lighter periods and more regular period cramps. After the approvement of these pills by FDA, there has been increasing in women who have been using the birth control pills. But, before taking them, it is better to consider the pros and cons of birth control pills.
The pros and cons of birth control pills are:
Pros of Birth Control Pills
- It is one of the most convenient methods of contraception.
- With the use of birth control pills, there is less pain and very light bleeding during the menstrual period.
- The effective birth control helps women to worry less about pregnancy and is a very effective form of family planning. There is less than 1% of failure rate when used properly.
- Back in those days, the pill contained higher levels of estrogen which causes weight gain. But these days, weight gain is no more the side effect of birth control pills.
- The generic versions of birth control pills are very effective and come at a very low cost.
- There is also the improvement in acne or premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) with some birth control pills.
Also read: Pros and Cons of Birth Control Implant
Cons of Birth Control Pill
- Many types of birth control pills contain two hormones: estrogen and progestin which leads to blood clots, heart attack, and stroke in women who smoke, especially if older than 35 years of age. Thus this control pills should not be used by women who smoke or is above 35 years
- The birth control pill is less expensive but the cost or co-pay may not be affordable for some women.
- It is better to use birth control pills when the doctor prescribes it. And after that, they need to have a regular checkup with your doctor when using the birth control pill.
- There may be breakthrough bleeding in the first few months of the use of pills because the body needs to adjust to the changes in hormone levels.
- Women may have breast pain or vaginal dryness with the continuous use of birth control pills.
- It is better to use an IUD for women who have trouble taking the pills. Because once the pill is missed, you may need to take another form of birth control.
- Even if one takes birth control pills every day, it cannot protect against the diseases which transmit sexually.
Above, we discussed some of the pros and cons of birth control pills. We will be discussing the pros and cons of lots of necessary stuff. Please keep visiting us.