Last Updated on Monday, September 27, 2021 by ProsCons
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 is the third generation of folding phones currently sold by Samsung. It was launched on 27th August 2021 along with the Z Flip 3 with the starting price of $1800 for the base variant. In comparison to the previous generation, Samsung has managed to make the fold slimmer and lighter without any changes to its overall design. Furthermore, the fold addresses the issues surrounding its predecessor and brings more features than ever. This makes it one of the best folding phones to ever exist.
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 is powered by the Snapdragon 888 5g with up to 12 GB of ram and 512 GB of built-in storage. Here the fold 3 comes with a 6.2-inch AMOLED panel as the cover display with a large 7.6-inch AMOLED panel as the internal folding display. Also, the folding display comes with an in-display selfie camera, a first for any Samsung phone. Furthermore, now both the display panel comes with support for up to 120Hz refresh rate which ensures a smooth transition from both panels. The fold 3 is powered by a 4400mAh cell with support for up to 25w wired charging and 10w wireless charging. Lastly, the Z Fold 3 has five cameras in total with three of them on the back and two on each display panel.
As we have general knowledge about the Galaxy Z Fold 3, some of its pros and cons are listed hereafter.
Pros of Galaxy Z Fold 3
- The galaxy Z fold 3 has an excellent inside folding display with no notches or hole-punch cutout for the selfie camera. Now the selfie camera resides inside the display for an immersive display experience. Furthermore, the display now supports the S pen which can be bought additionally if needed.
- Here the galaxy Z fold 3 is powered by the Snapdragon 888 5G as standard. This means that there is no Exynos version of the fold 3 with subpar performance than its Snapdragon counterpart. As of now, the fold 3 is one of the most powerful galaxy phones in the market.
- The latest generation of the fold now comes with proper IPX8 water resistance. This has increased overall the durability of the device. Currently, it is one of the two folding phones having this certification in the market along with the Galaxy Z Flip 3.
- The Galaxy Z fold is a multi-tasking powerhouse. The large display and the fluid yet immersive software make it a great multitasking device for the users. People can use up to three apps simultaneously through the edge panel. Furthermore, the Galaxy Z Fold 3 also supports Samsung Dex natively.
You can also read: Pros and Cons of Samsung Galaxy S9
Cons of Galaxy Z Fold 3
- The Galaxy Z Fold 3 has average cameras as compared to other flagships. It lacks proper zoom cameras like its S21 siblings which are significantly cheaper than it. Although the in-display camera is cutting-edge technology, it is significantly worse than others in all other aspects.
- Here the Z Fold 3 does technically supports the S pen but it requires one specifically designed for it. Otherwise, the internal folding display can get destroyed if used together with unofficial hardware. Furthermore, the S pen needs to be stored externally unlike its galaxy note siblings which store them internally.
- Samsung doesn’t provide charging bricks with its most expensive galaxy device. Users must buy their own and official Samsung bricks if they want to use its full 25w charging capability. Despite costing almost two thousand dollars, Samsung doesn’t provide official accessories with the new device.
Our final thoughts
The Galaxy Z Fold is the most advanced folding phone in the market currently. Furthermore, it launched cheaper than its predecessor while having significant upgrades over it. Folding phones are not a necessity but it shows how far technology has advanced since the past. Likewise, folding phones have started to gain demand in the current smartphone market. Here, Samsung seems to be leading the pack with its galaxy fold and flip line of phones. Lastly, folding phones have the potential to be the future of phones in general. Incidentally, they have become cheaper and more accessible with every new launch. Thus, we can look forward to the next iteration of the Z fold 3 from Samsung.