Last Updated on Monday, September 27, 2021 by ProsCons
The Samsung Galaxy Z flip 3 is the third iteration of the flip series by Samsung. It was released on 27 August 2021 with a starting price of $949 for the base variant. Since the first flip, Samsung has drastically increased its durability and features while maintaining a nostalgic pocket-size form factor. Above all, Samsung hopes to make foldable phones more affordable and mainstream with this generation of the Galaxy Z Flip 3.
The Galaxy Z Flip 3 comes with a large 6.7-inch Dynamic AMOLED which folds in half as the inside display. Above all, it comes with a 120Hz refresh rate making it a joy to use. There is also a 1.9-inch small cover display for easy access to basic things like notifications, music, etc. Similarly, the flip 3 comes with the Snapdragon 888 5G with support for up to 8 GB of ram and 256 GB of internal storage. There are three cameras in total, two in the back and one inside the display. Lastly, the Flip 3 comes with a modest battery capacity of 3300mAh cells divided in each half. It has support for 15w wired as well as 10w wireless charging support. Furthermore, Samsung has also made the flip 3 water resistance despite being foldable.
As we have general knowledge about the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3, Let us discuss some of its pros and cons briefly.
Pros of Galaxy Z Flip 3:
- This year Samsung has addressed one of the major durability issues on any folding phone to date. The Flip 3 comes with IPX8 water resistance despite having a folding form factor. As a result, the flip 3 can survive up to half an hour submerged in 1.5m deep water.
- Samsung flip 3 has improved on the display by a lot than the previous generation. Now there is a proper cover display that is usable. Furthermore, the inside folding display also comes with a 120Hz dynamic refresh rate as standard. Also, the pre-applied screen protector is about 80% more resistant to scratches and dents than the previous ones.
- Samsung has tweaked the hinge to stay at a specific angle. As a result, this enables the phone to enter flex mode and can come in handy in many use cases. Furthermore, Samsung claims that the hinge is made up of a lightweight and strong aluminum frame.
- Samsung has promised up to 4 years of software updates to its phones. This basically ensures that the phone will be relevant in the long run. As the software updates also add new features and security tweaks, the flip will become more refined and practical to use in the future.
You can also read: Pros and Cons of Samsung Galaxy Note8
Cons of Galaxy Z Flip 3
- The sore spot of the flip 3 is basically its poor battery life. The large inside display with a high refresh rate along with 5g support drains its modest battery easily. The flip at most only lasts around 4hrs under heavy use.
- There isn’t any official protection from dust and dirt in the flip 3 despite having proper water protection. Small particles of dust can easily damage the hinge, as well as the display as both of them, are fragile. A small amount of dust can render the new device useless.
- The flip 3 can only be repaired by Samsung and its authorized service center. There is basically no news for official parts availability outside of Samsung. This can pose a problem to the end consumer if their phone ever breaks. Thus they can only rely on Samsung for the replacement which can often be costly. In the worst case, the entire device needs to be replaced increasing the overall cost.
The Galaxy Z Flip 3 is the most accessible and affordable folding phone to date. The price is on par with other flagships and the flip offers a superior user experience than traditional flagships. Samsung has fixed most of the issues surrounding folding phones making them an option for potential customers. It is also the easiest to recommend folding phones to date. Lastly, this generation of the flip is pretty amazing and we can expect more from the next generation.