Electric cars have been the huge technological advancement for a few years now. Some drivers are still hesitating to switch to the electric version of the vehicle, but it sure is going to happen sooner or later. Traditional gasoline-powered cars are going to be things from the past and the electric counterpart is going to help in the minimization of the pollution.
The electric car too has some of the side effects to it, people need to realize that it is future and advancement that is made today is sure to improve as the usage increases. When people start using the vehicle, the feedback from the public will help the Electric Vehicle manufacturers to make a certain alteration that will suit people in huge number. As the fueled vehicles are easy to use in today’s circumstances with the ability to fuel up and use vehicles over huge distances, electric vehicles too have to get powerful enough to be used over a larger distance.
The electric vehicles are gaining and are sure to gain popularity over years now. The process to replace the gasoline-powered vehicle might be tedious and long but it has to be done sooner or later.
Electric Cars Pros and Cons
You can have a debate over the pros and cons of electric cars, but some of the pros are too obvious to have and cons are there to stay for quite a few times before there is a significant improvement in the technology. Some of the pros are listed below.
Pros of Electric Cars
- Healthier for the environment: The electric car is the healthier version of the car for the environment. With no emissions to pollute the environment, we can promise a healthier future to our next generation.
- Less Wear and Tear: With fewer mechanical parts than a conventional machine, the wear and tear of the car are obviously going to be less. So, it requires fewer maintenance.
- Ideal for Urban Areas: While gasoline powered car performs best on the highway with fewer shifting ups and downs, electric vehicle is perfect for the city condition. The pickup is easier to get and the car just zaps through the traffic.
- Quieter: Noise pollution too is very dangerous to human health. The gasoline powered vehicle has louder engine while the motors of the electric car are silent enough to doubt if the engine is running at all. At 65 miles an hour, the average interior noise of gasoline-powered car is around 70dB while the electric vehicle is quiet as whisper.
- They are fast: Speed records have been achieved recently by the electric vehicles. The Tesla Model S P100D hit 60mph in 2.28 secs, one of the fastest recorded. Traditional cars’ power-to-weight ratio is not comparable enough with the superior power-to-weight ratio of electric car.
- Electricity is Cheaper than Gasoline: Gasoline is getting costlier day by day. Electricity is the cheaper alternative which is quite cheap and easier to extract and store. It means you can have cheaper fuel to run your vehicle.
- Recharging at home: It isn’t possible to have a fuel station at everyone’s home, but you can have your electric car charged at home as easy as charging your cellphone after whole day of usage.
Cons of Electric Cars
- Limited Range: The biggest disadvantage of Electric Car is its inability to travel over greater distance. Most of the electric car offers 80-100 miles max on full charge which might be enough for daily commute, but not enough for travelling through longer distances.
- Charging Electric Car: Electric car needs charging station to be installed at home which might be cheaper to the rich customers with huge garage and space for the charging station but its just not possible for everyone.
- Long Charging duration: Normal charging just takes longer to charge the car which adds roughly few miles for over an hour charge. Only if the car is charged at quick charging stations available publicly, you can add even up to 50 miles in quick 25 minutes or so.
- Fewer options: There are just fewer option to choose from. There are only few manufacturers who produce the electric car and we don’t really have huge range of selection while gasoline-powered vehicle has a huge range of choices to be made.
Also Read: Electric Scooter Pros and Cons
Are Electric Cars worth buying?
Even though the technology is still young, it is worth giving a try. You will not regret riding the vehicle that is going to be a common means of commute in future. The vehicle might be expensive at the moment but its prices are going to get cheaper than the traditional vehicles as the sense of competition is established among the manufacturers.